I love Sweethearts because I think that they are the perfect Valentine’s Day candy. The main ingredients for homemade Sweethearts are icing sugar, castor sugar, ground almonds, sweetened condensed milk, and food coloring. Check out the pictures for examples of some of the designs of Sweethearts. If you would like to make your own at home, here’s the recipe:
2 ounces icing sugar
2 ounces castor sugar
4 ounces ground almonds
3 -5 drops red food coloring
1. You will also need: one small and one very small heart-shaped cutter.
2. Sift the icing sugar in a bowl, add the caster and the almonds, mix well.
3. Make a hollow and add the condensed milk, mix with a spoon first then use your hands, mix until smooth.
4. Divide in half and add food color to one batch mixing the color well.
5. Wrap both in plastic and put in the fridge for half an hour.
6 . Sprinkle icing sugar on a clean work surface, roll out the pink almond dough until approx 1/2 inch thick.
7. Cut out hearts with the larger cutter, re-using and cutting the scraps, use more icing sugar if needed.
8. Then use the small cutter to cutout hearts from the middles of the big hearts, I use a blunt stick to push the small hearts out of the cutter.
9. Do the same with the un-colored almond dough and try to get the same number of hearts.
10. Gently push the small cream hearts in the big pink ones and pink in the cream ones.
11. Smooth or flatten if needed.
12 . Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper and put the hearts on there to dry overnight.
13. Store in an airtight tin.
Recipe Courtesy of Food.com
By: Cristian L.